Saturday, September 6, 2008

Good news, bad news?

Apparently Sony has just locked in Toby Maguire and director Sam Rami for a fourth and fifth installments in the Spiderman franchise. After the 3rd film (a total disaster in my opinion) which turned Peter Parker into "emo Spidey" and totally downplayed the whole Venom storyline (which was always one of my favorites in the comics) I'm skeptical of how good a 4th and 5th film could be. At the moment Kirsten Dunst isn't signed to reprise her role as Mary Jane, and I'm not too upset about that at the moment. Dunst is an ok actress, but I never really saw her as Mary Jane. She's too awkward looking and Mary Jane was supposed to be this sexpot, in the comics she always exuded sexuality and confidence. In the films she came off as unsure and lost. So if they replace Dunst it might be for the best. I'm really curious what villains they are planning on using in the next two films. Only time and casting will tell if I decide to buy my ticket or not. But to be honest, as much as I like Spiderman, there are other superheroes that I would rather see on film than more films in a drowning franchise.

No comments: