Wednesday, September 17, 2008

True Blood

So I'v now watched two episodes of the new HBO series "True Blood" from Alan Ball (Six Feet Under) based off the Charline Harris Sookie Stackhouse novels. I'm a huge fan of the whole vampire mythos and usually like a lot of the vampire pop culture...from Buffy and Angel to Trinity Blood (an anime series to those who don't know). I've read most vampire literature from Bram Stoker to Anne Rice and Stephanie Meyer, I recall flipping through a Sookie Stackhouse novel at Borders one night and picking Twilight instead. And I don't regret that choice one bit.

However, I do enjoy True Blood. I think its an interesting take on the genre and I think that it has a wonderful cast. And I'm happy that HBO has decided to go ahead and sign it for a second season already. Although I'm a little disappointed that a great show like "Moonlight" got canned after a wonderful first season, and there are a lot of rabid fans that feel the same way. But perhaps its the fact that vampires are such sexual and sometimes violent creatures that we're able to see it played out better on a premium channel like HBO than on network tv? But its good to see that series like True Blood and books like Meyer's Twilight saga (in theaters 11-21-08!!!) are bringing vampires back into popularity. After all who wouldn't want Edward Cullen or Bill Compton nuzzling up against them at night ^_^

More later :)

No comments: